WHO WE ARE
We are a new non-party political campaigning organisation involving disabled people, carers, trade unionists, activists, academics and health and social care professionals and workers. We grew out of a workshop at a Health Campaigns Together Conference but are now a separate organisation affiliated to Health Campaigns Together.
We are a coalition of individual members and affiliated organisations campaigning for all social support, independent living and care services to be:
- Free at the point of use
- Fully funded through progressive taxation
- Subject to national standards based on article 19 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Disabled People, addressing people’s aspirations and choices and with robust safeguarding procedures.
- Publicly and democratically run, designed and delivered locally and co-productively involving Local Authorities, the NHS and service users, disabled people and carers
- Underpinned by a workforce who have appropriate training, qualifications, career structure, pay and conditions.
- Committed to giving informal carers the rights and support they need.
We urge organisations to join our campaign to fight against the cuts in social care and support and for a radical change in the way social care is delivered.
Build public support to demand free, fair social care
Stop cuts and closures: defend jobs & services
Press councils to stop & reverse privatisation
Push politicians to commit to free universal care & support
Promote participatory, rights based models of provision
CHAIR - DR BRIAN FISHER
A semi-retired GP, Brian is Honorary Vice-President of the Socialist Health Association, a member of the Save Lewisham Hospital Campaign, a member of the Labour Party and chair of New NHS Alliance. He is Clinical Director of Evergreen Life, a software company enabling people, through the NHS, to access their GP records and stay as fit and well as possible.
CO-SECRETARY - ANN BANNISTER
Ann is a member of Merseyside Pensioners Association, Socialist Health Association and Unite. Ann is also a trustee and Chairperson of the Friends of Wechiau charity, providing educational scholarships to young people in Ghana. Ann worked in children’s and adult social care services.
CO-SECRETARY - GILDA PETERSON
Gilda is retired from Local Government Social Care. She is Secretary of Leeds Keep Our NHS Public and Yorkshire Health Campaigns Together and a Member of Leeds Unison Retired Members Action Group, Yorks and Humber Regional TUC Retired Members Forum and Yorkshire Pensioners Convention
TREASURER - ANNE PRIDMORE
Anne Pridmore set up and is Director of Being the Boss, a member organisation with a telephone helpline which supports disabled people to become employers to manage Direct Payments and Personal Assistants. She has been using social care since 1984. She has been involved in many Disabled Peoples User Led Organisations.